Examining Your Professional Learning Network

This week in my CEP 810 class for Michigan State University my students are tasked with creating a concept map to examine their professional learning networks (PLNs). I’ve done presentations on this topic, advocate for and promote the power of PLNs, and contribute to mine on a regular basis so I thought this would be a good opportunity for me to update and reflect on my PLN map. 

What I Notice

  • I have an extensive network. This may not come as a surprise to most, as I’ve been in the field for 28 years. What is significant about this, however, is that even though I have been in the field for a long time I am still learning from others, seeking help from others, and giving back to my network. 

  • I contribute as much as I consume. For me, I see this as one of the internal traits of being an educator- to share. I often will find resources that relate to the work others are doing and will pass content on. Those who connect with me are used to my “FYI” or “Thought of You” emails with links to content I think they can use.

  • I tend to predominately connect with colleagues who share my same viewpoints on education. This can be seen as both a positive and a negative. Given the nature of the world in 2020 & 2021 between politics and pandemics, this is something I need to do to achieve balance right now.

  • I lean on different networks at different times, based on constraints and needs. The best part is my network is always there when I need them.

Below my map are some resources that I’ve created if you are interested in learning more about the power of professional learning networks.


Nicole's PLN concept map



Resources


Blog Posts I Have Written

Tips to Build Your PLN

Mapping Digital Spaces: Where You Go Determines How You Grow

How I am Learning... Right Now  

Being a Connected Educator


Presentations I Have Given

Stay Curious: Grow, Connect, and Share

The Importance of a PLN During A Pandemic

Professional Growth Through PLNs

Tell Your Story with Twitter


Social Media Support

The Power of the # Sign

Social Media That Supports PLNs

Educational Facebook Groups

Twitter Tips


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Plagiarism

Water the Flowers, Not the Rocks: Tips from 10 Years of Instructional Coaching

ChatGPT for Educators